Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Post-modern jungle

My reason for calling this blog-site "Juggling without dropping" has to do with trying to take on board a whole range of new thoughts, possibilities, skills and techniques, but feeling like there is every chance some parts might "fall through the cracks". But that's OK. I feel as if I have visited this topic a few times now, and it gradually seeps in (like salt-damp!)

I have a sneaking suspicion that had the church facilitated the presentation of the Gospel through all the senses, and acted with creativity and flair for a few more centuries, we'd all be in a much healthier state now. I have come to see that in many ways the church environment is pallid, dour, predictable and boring - certainly by comparison to the "pizzaz" we are surrounded by on each side. I am tired of a predictable Jesus - which is so often how he is presented. I want to present him as he is - creative, passionate, colourful, not "boxed in", but shining with grace, hope, possibilities and power.....

SO - even before this week, I was determined to be more interactive and "community" in my approach as a Pastor, so I am noting HEAPS of possibilities to put into practice back home. Look out PtL.B.C.!

Hmmm - my catchcry for so many years: "Festina lente" - hasten slowly - probably wise. I wonder how patient I can be....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great to have you with us,

steve taylor

Don George said...

G'day Leigh. I used this great book once with a lot of allegory and in it was a juggler. To be the best juggler he had to resist his own rythm and listen to the spirit within. Then it all became one but by focusing on himself the fears led to things dropping. Anyway its a great image. Keep on juggling.

Don George

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh,
Is this your course reflection, or is that to come?

Paul McMahon
Assistant to Steve Taylor